The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
July 26, 2007
Hosted by Greg Lyon on Thursdays at 2-4 pm
on WPVM Asheville (103.5 FM and www.wpvm.org)
– Shout-out to my bud Mike Lupica at WFMU for turning me on to the Stars track in a show he did a couple of years ago. I wish the Stars’ records would get reissued alongside that other stuff by Michio Kurihara. I still need to get ahold of those White Heaven records too.
– Howling Hex’s Return of the Third Tower is vinyl-only and is very badly served by the CD collection 1-2-3, which truncates most (or all) of the songs and destroys the flow of the record. Listening to the record all the way through, I can say that is undoubtedly my favorite Howling Hex release.
– I really like that Sand thing, Krautrock from early 70s, reissued in a 2CD collection that is probably harder to come by than the original vinyl nowadays. Too bad. For more on this, see Julian Cope’s article on Head Heritage.
– King Kahn and the Shrines is pretty good new stuff, as is the Turbo Fruits (Be Your Own Pet offshoot).
– I keep listening to that Sibylle Baier record. I think it’s astoundingly beautiful.
* = Heavy Rotation at WPVM
+ = New but not (yet) at WPVM
(c) = compilation
Background music: Max Roach – The Loadstar (Horo)
The Stars – Everlasting Daylight – Will (Pedal)
* Michio Kurihara – Do Deep-Sea Fish Dream of Electric Moles? – Sunset Notes (20/20/20)
U.S. Maple – Tan Loves Blue – Purple on Time (Drag City)
* Daddy’s Hands – When Venus Comes – Welcome Kings (Kill Devil Hill)
Nervous Eaters – Driving to New York – Eaterville #1 (Penniman)
The Stooges – T.V. Eye (Take 7) – 1970: The Complete Fun House Sessions (Rhino Handmade)
+ King Khan & The Shrines – In Your Grave – What Is?! (Hazlewood)
The Nomads – I’m 5 Years Ahead of My Time – Showdown! (Sympathy for the Record Industry)
Scientists – Burnout – Sedition (ATP)
* Rebuilding the Rights of Statues – Boys in Cage – Cut Off! (Tag Team)
* Turbo Fruits – Volcano – Turbo Fruits (Ecstatic Peace!)
+ No Age – Boy Void – Weirdo Rippers (Fat Cat)
Notekillers – Ricochet – 1977-1981 (Ecstatic Peace!)
* Grand Pepper of Reality – Zatoichi Dub – I Dub New York (Psychic Dub Cat)
Howling Hex – Rocklyn Fortunes – The Return of the Third Tower (Drag City)
+ Pan Sonic – Hyönteisistä (About Insects) – Katodivaihe/Cathodephase (Blast First Petite)
Paulo Bagunça e a Tropa Maldita – Apelo – s/t (1974, Discos Mariposa)
* Caribou – Melody Day – CD EP (Merge)
The New Tweedy Bros! – I Can See It – s/t (1967, Shadoks)
Sand – On the Corner – Ultrasonic Seraphim (United Durtro)
Nurse With Wound – Head Cold – Large Ladies with Cake in the Oven (United Dairies)
Sibylle Baier – Tonight – Colour Green (Orange Twin)
Plastic People of the Universe – Jednou nohou – Francovka (1979)
* Tiny Vipers – On This Side – Hands Across the Void (Sub Pop)
Stephen Malkmus – It Kills – Face the Truth (Matador)